Monday, October 20, 2008

Denver Marathon Recap


I was hoping to title this post "Boston or Bust", but unfortunately, my attempt to qualify for Boston was the bust. I needed a 3:15:59 to qualify and I was on pace for about a 3:13...then "The Wall" came at mile 22. I knew I was so close and thought if I could just push it a few more miles I would make it in time. Every attempt to pick up the pace lasted seconds before I slowed way down. It just wasn't meant to be. I came across the finish at 3:19:39.

The race was great and I had a lot of fun. Almost 10,000 runners on a warm, sunny day. I love running through downtown Denver and the city parks. One of my favorite moments was seeing a woman sitting in a lawn chair holding a sign that read, "If Palin can run, so can you!". Not to get political here...but whether you like her or not...you've got to admit that is pretty funny!

I had so much fun this year with the marathons and other races. I'm extremely happy (and a little sad) that it's over. I'm completely at peace with not qualifying for Boston this year. I know I'll get other chances in the future. My first thought after crossing the finish line was....REST! I'm looking forward to taking it easy for awhile. Who knows what 2009 will bring?? I'm pretty sure it won't be three marathons in 29 days.

A big congratulations goes out to my cousin Scott! He bested his previous 1/2 marathon time by about four minutes. He finished with a 1:33:41. We had planned to run together, but it got so crowded at the start, that we never found each other.

A big thanks goes out to Tanya & the girls for showing up at FIVE spots along the course and the finish line. I can't tell you how cool it is to see their cute faces when you're struggling to put one foot in front of the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment